Sunday, September 13, 2009

GRAD 6100 Blog #6

Since I am not yet in a classroom, I will share a couple of writing strategies I used in the long-term substitute position I held last year as a high school English teacher. Early on, I noticed a few of the students had very shaky writing skills. I found out that each of them hated to read even though every school day gifted them with a half-hour for free-choice reading. With a little bit of guidance and encouragement, we eventually found a genre that each enjoyed. As the next five months passed, their writing really improved.

Another tool I used with them was free writing. Our text describes this type of exercise on pages 141-142. I used free writes quite often as “bell-ringers”…quick starts to the day so that the students could get right back into the subject we had been working on in the previous session.

I always used an announced, and discussed, rubric to guide grading. The rubric method was not yet in use when I was a student. I really appreciate how using a rubric allows grading to be much more just.

I realize I neglected to reflect on the CETaL workshop I attended September 3. It was quite informative and speedy. Dr. Rudy Rincones presented a comprehensive and effective discussion of “Designing Valid Assessments of Student Learning” in only 90 minutes. It was well worth attending.

I came away with several ideas and one question…why do teachers (when they are the students) think it is appropriate for them to arrive late to class -or- to leave a class early? I’m pretty sure they frown on their own students doing that sort of thing. I also noticed several attendees doing only partial work; they left without completing their feedback form. My bad attitude thinks professionals should be and/or act professional. The actions of this few made me wonder how they are in their own classrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment